Use the knife list subcommand to view a list of objects on the Chef server. This subcommand works similar to knife cookbook list, knife data bag list, knife environment list, knife node list, and knife role list, but with a single verb (and a single action).
This subcommand has the following syntax:
$ knife list [PATTERN...] (options)
Review the list of common options available to this (and all) knife subcommands and plugins.
This subcommand has the following options:
- Show only one column of results. Default: false.
- --chef-repo-path PATH
- The path to the chef-repo. This setting will override the default path to the chef-repo. Default: same value as specified by chef_repo_path in client.rb.
- The number of allowed concurrent connections. Default: 10.
- Prevent a directory’s children from showing when a directory matches a pattern. Default value: false.
- -f, --flat
- Show a list of file names. Set to false to view ls-like output. Default: false.
- Return only the contents of the local directory. Default: false.
- Show directories with trailing slashes (/). Default: false.
- List directories recursively. Default: false.
- --repo-mode MODE
- The layout of the local chef-repo. Possible values: static, everything, or hosted_everything. Use static for just roles, environments, cookbooks, and data bags. By default, everything and hosted_everything are dynamically selected depending on the server type. Default: everything / hosted_everything.
See knife.rb for more information about how to add certain knife options as settings in the knife.rb file.
The following examples show how to use this knife subcommand:
For example, to view a list of roles on the Chef server:
$ knife list roles/
List roles and environments
To view a list of roles and environments on the Chef server:
$ knife list roles/ environments/
To view a list of absolutely everything on the Chef server:
$ knife list -R /