Use the msu_package resource to install Microsoft Update(MSU) packages on Microsoft Windows machines.
New in Chef client 12.17.
A msu_package resource installs or removes Microsoft Update packages.
msu_package 'name' do source String action Symbol end
- msu_package is the resource
- 'name' is the name of the resource block
- source is the local path or URL for the MSU package.
The full syntax for all of the properties that are available to the msu_package resource is:
msu_package 'name' do source String checksum String action Symbol end
This resource has the following actions:
- Installs the MSU package from either a local file path or URL.
- Uninstalls the MSU package from its location on disk.
This resource has the following properties:
Ruby Type: String
The local file path or URL for the MSU package.
Ruby Type: String
SHA-256 digest used to verify the checksum of the downloaded MSU package.
Where a resource represents a piece of the system (and its desired state), a provider defines the steps that are needed to bring that piece of the system from its current state into the desired state.
The chef-client will determine the correct provider based on configuration data collected by Ohai at the start of the chef-client run. This configuration data is then mapped to a platform and an associated list of providers.
Generally, it’s best to let the chef-client choose the provider, and this is (by far) the most common approach. However, in some cases, specifying a provider may be desirable. There are two approaches:
- Use a more specific short name—yum_package "foo" do instead of package "foo" do, script "foo" do instead of bash "foo" do, and so on—when available
- Use the provider property within the resource block to specify the long name of the provider as a property of a resource. For example: provider Chef::Provider::Long::Name
This resource has the following providers:
- Chef::Provider::Package::Msu, msu_package
- The provider for the Microsoft Windows platform.
Using local path in source
msu_package 'Install Windows 2012R2 Update KB2959977' do source 'C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\Temp\Windows8.1-KB2959977-x64.msu' action :install end
msu_package 'Remove Windows 2012R2 Update KB2959977' do source 'C:\Users\xyz\AppData\Local\Temp\Windows8.1-KB2959977-x64.msu' action :remove end
Using URL in source
msu_package 'Install Windows 2012R2 Update KB2959977' do source 'https://s3.amazonaws.com/my_bucket/Windows8.1-KB2959977-x64.msu' action :install end
msu_package 'Remove Windows 2012R2 Update KB2959977' do source 'https://s3.amazonaws.com/my_bucket/Windows8.1-KB2959977-x64.msu' action :remove end